E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, November 22, 2013

Grand-Father Proud

Last Saturday I met my eldest grand-daughter at her house, and to my surprise, one of her friends.  I was there to take her for her first experience firing a gun.  I taught her the basics of safe handling a couple of years ago, but we never made it to the range.  This year she asked to go shooting for her birthday.

To my surprise, her friend was also to go for her first time shooting a gun.  I was informed by the friend that her parents said it was OK, twice she told me that was the case.  I almost said NO, but decided to go ahead and take them.  Glad I did.

Both teenage girls behaved admirably.  They followed all directions to the letter, and were receptive to my instructions.  They fired a 22 H&R revolver, 22 Buckmark, 32 PPK, 9mm HiPower, and 9mm Bersa.  In the end one really liked the 22 revolver and the other the 22 Buckmark.  I ended up standing and watching them load and shoot, filling the target with little holes.  They used up more than 500 rounds of my ammo.  Well worth the money.

Grand-daughter does have an issue though.  Being right handed and left eye dominate can be a bit of a challenge.  I showed her how to cant the gun to the left and tilt her head to the right.  It was a lot easier for her to hit the target after that.

The actual birthday party was Sunday where I met the friends mother.  She thanked me with enthusiasm for taking her daughter to the range and teaching her how to safely shoot a gun.  Actually, both mothers and daughters thanked me.

Both girls talked about the shooting session for days after.  They now both want guns.

Makes a grand-father proud.

No comments: