E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, March 14, 2011

Oil in The Hills ??

According to the local rag, some oil company(s) has invested $1 billion in buying leases here in Ohio. Obviously somebody thinks there's oil and/or natural gas here that can be harvested for a profit.

It was also said the the state government is looking to open state forests and parks for drilling. And naturally this has the tree huggers all in a dither.

Several years ago I took 3 trips to hunt deer in northwestern Pennsylvania. I was hunting near Titusville and Oil City where the oil craze first started. In the old days all the timber was harvested to build derricks. When I was there, decades later, you couldn't tell the hill sides were ever stripped bare. The only trace of the oil rush was the occasional tank, rusted pipe and non-working pump. Mother nature took care of things.

Today's technology would leave basically no trace of mans harvest of oil or gas within a few months.

As additional testament, when I was in Alaska, along the pipeline, I found that wildlife was actually helped by the big and long pipe. Plant life flourished and so do the animals.

I love the outdoors as much as anyone, but I also live in the real word, not some fantasy land. The tree huggers need to go pound sand.

No comments: