E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, February 14, 2011

What The Heck ??
















Yesterday I wanted to go to the outdoor range for some very long over due 200 yard enjoyment. I decided to forgo sloshing through the mud and spent an hour at the nearby indoor range instead. They have a rule against shooting self made reloads for liability reasons so as usual I ran through several boxes of 22LR using the Browning Buckmark.


This was only my second time on the trigger since surgery last September, the last being a month ago. The last year or so I've been trying to improve my weak hand and strong hand only shooting skills. He who carries may at some time need said skill to save a life.


In any case I was very surprised to see that I shot with more accuracy using my weak hand. What the hell? Being very right handed that shouldn't have happened. The targets (half sized silhouette) were at 50 feet with my left on the left and right on the right. After considering this for a while I concluded that I was concentrating more and shooting more slowly with my left hand.


One of my fellow workers is a NRA certified instructor in several disciplines, so I asked his opinion today. His immediate reaction was "thumbing". That's when short fingered folks like myself cheat around the grip to reach the trigger, resulting in recoil going more into the thumb and less into the web of the hand. He was absolutely correct. I remember the trigger reach as being longer with my left hand.


That's the kind of thing that rears it's ugly head when regular practice is omitted, even if it happens because of surgery.

No comments: