E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Ruger 9MM

I see now that Ruger has a miniature 9MM. For me at least, they're a little too late, by a couple of years. That's when I was looking for a pistol smaller than my 3 inch 1911, but with more punch than a 380. At the time the only thing that fit the bill was the Kahr PM9. Springfield had a small 1911 in 9MM that I liked better but I wasn't prepared to spend twice as much for a sometimes carry piece. I prefer to carry the 3 inch 1911 in 45ACP.

If you consider the specifications you'll see that the PM9 is smaller and weighs less than the new Ruger. Unfortunately the PM9 also costs considerably more.

I think a more direct competitor might be the Kahr CW9. I also considered one of those, but found it wasn't enough smaller or weighed enough less than my Kimber Ultra Carry to be worth spending the dollars on the difference.

So depending on the situation, what I'm doing, where I'm going and what I'm wearing, my choices are 3" 1911 in 45ACP, Kahr PM9 in 9MM and Keltec P-3AT in 380. In that order.

And as usual, your mileage may vary.

No comments: