E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Broken 44

So yesterday I took the ailing 44 Bulldog to the shop/range where I bought it to be shipped back to the factory. I showed it to the part time smith who pointed out that not only was the forcing cone split, but the frame as well. He said Charter is pretty good at fixing things like that, and that I'd most likely be sent a new gun. I was also told that the Charter of today doesn't produce the quality of firearm as in the past.

He also agreed that the cylinder end play was extreme.

The literature supplied with the pistol and the sticker on the box claim they have a "lifetime warranty" against materials and workmanship, but I wonder if they'll try to blame me for improper ammunition or something. Now it's a waiting game to see if they stand behind their product anything like Ruger does.

I have a Security Six that was fired so much that something inside the mechanism locked. I put many thousands of rounds of full house 357 rounds through that particular revolver. I sent it to Ruger asking for and estimate to repair, which I never received. What I received was a repaired and refitted revolver that cost only the shipping to them.

Many years later a friend gave me a Super Blackhawk with the barrel split full length. It was an obvious operator error. It looked like he followed a squib load with a full 44 Mag. cartridge. I sent it to Ruger for a requested estimate, and once again I received a fully repaired and refitted revolver for the cost of shipping.

So how will Charter Arms compare to this customer service? Maybe I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Since I purchased it at that same shop, I wasn't charged for shipping. At least that's $35 that won't be coming from my pocket.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

+1 on Ruger's CS. I sent them a Super Blackhawk with four bullets and a broken carbide bit stuck in the barrel (not my gun; not from me) and they put a new barrel in it, reblued it, replaced all the springs and screws, replaced the trigger and hammer, and sent it all back quickly. I paid $50 for all that.

Hopefully your Bulldog will come back quick. Those are neat guns.

trajectory said...

Despite its bad points I really enjoyed shooting it.

I kinda wonder if the Hornady 240Gr lead was oversized and/or a little stiff for a barrel with more grooves than most.