E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, October 28, 2010

More Progress

For the first time since surgery I took a shower without the walker in the shower with me. I also took about 5 little baby steps without any support other than my own legs. I probably looked a bit like a penguin.

The physical therapist told me that I've been leaning on the cane too much. So at therapy, after the usual torture session, I walked about 20 very unsteady feet, trying to walk as normal as possible. I was very uneasy because I really don't trust the one leg as yet. And I developed the habit of leaning on the cane prior to surgery. That was necessary for pain control for 2 or 3 months prior to hip replacement surgery.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Its really easy to do when you don't trust a joint to function properly. After the surgery on my knee I clung to my crutches because the knee had a habit of giving out at random points when I put weight on it. It took constant deliberate choice to force myself to walk normally on it. Good luck!

Peter Lee said...

I learned that the patients are not allowed to cross their legs within one and half month of hip replacement surgery as this can lead to hip dislocation. Whether you are sitting on a chair or standing or reclining on a bed, never cross your legs at least during the vital six weeks after total hip replacement.

http://hipreplacementsurgeryvideo.com