E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Range Day

The eldest did a lot of arm twisting :-), but managed to convince me to abandon the household chores and spend some time with him at the range today. Between range time and paintball, I don't know which is the most fun I can have while fully clothed.

The first order of business, at the Boss's request, was to try her new Firestorm 380 to make sure it functioned. I was hoping she'd make the time to do that herself, but having a virgin gun in the house for something like 2 months is a travesty, so I obliged. I ran 50 rounds of Silver Bear and about a dozen Winchester white box flat points through it using both magazines without a hitch. Accuracy was very respectable at 25 yards, though it shot about 6 inches low for me.

When I got home she ordered a concealed carry purse for the little banger. I wish she'd put gun training and her own personal protection higher on her priority list. I don't mind her relying on me for protection, though I consider that a husbands duty and it's flattering, but I can't be with her all the time.

In both of my 9mms I've loaded Hornady 115gr HP/XTP for several years, but lately my practice ammo has been plated hollow points (Rainier) to save a little green. The first time I checked the new load for accuracy from a rest at 25 yards I shot a 5 round group of 1.2 inches. Today it was 5 shots in 1.8 inches. Both times were through my HiPower. I think that load is a keeper, though I'll verify that notion using the little Kahr PM9 on my next outing.

I don't shoot my carry guns very much, but today I made it a point to do some drawing from concealed and firing the Kimber UltraCarry. They don't like that sort of thing at this range so I kept things slow and worked on being smooth and acquiring the correct grip. With each draw I double tapped (quickly) a half sized silhouette target at 25 yards. All the holes were in the black.

For the first time in months I did some 100yd and 2ooyd attempts with the 357 and 454. My accuracy was acceptable at the beginning, but quickly fell off. If I was deer hunting today, an animal at 100yds would've been venison, at 200yds only if it was a very, very big deer.

I also spent some time with the Ishapore carbine and AR15 banging away at 200yds. Both of these wear zero magnification red dot sight systems. The AR is the most fun to shoot and by far the most accurate. It's also the most expensive to bring to the range. It seems I can put 100 rounds through the AR in the blink of an eye. That's what happens when you get one custom assembled to your personal specifications.

Lately I've been thinking about another AR or maybe a lever action. The AR would not be a shorty like the one I have now, but with a heavy, long barrel chambered in someething like the 6.5MM. The lever cranker would be in 454 Casull to match my Ruger Super Redhawk. So far just thinking and dreaming. Besides, I'd rather spend the money on ammo for the Boss, if I can ever get her to the range.

No comments: