E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Plated Bullets - Again^6

Today I received my new taper crimp dies. One each for the .45acp and 9mm. I'll let you know how they work.

I didn't notice any problem with loading plated bullets in the 9mm, but then again I didn't notice the issues with the .45 either, until I did.
- - - - - - - - -
Update -

Those that recommended the taper crimp die be used with plated bullets were right-on. Ran through a hundred or so today without a hitch.

I've been shooting 7.5gr Unique behind 185gr Hornady and 7.0gr behind 200gr Hornady bullets. Both bullets chronographed about 1040f/s. When I switched to plated, the 200gr (Hornady) changed from 1040f/s to 1075f/s (plated). There's not been any pressure signs, but that seemed a bit fast for a relatively soft plated bullet, and it's faster than I should get from that powder charge.

I lowered the charge to 6.6gr for both plated bullet weights and shot a box or so of each. The heavier bullet chronographed 40f/s faster than the light bullet and had a smaller velocity spread. I find that unusual. My guts tell me to stay at 6.6gr for the plated 200gr and jump up to 7.0gr for the 185gr bullets.

I also ran some 115gr plated bullets through the HiPower pushed by 6.5gr of AA#5 at over 1100f/s. I don't remember the actual and I'm too lazy to go look at my notes right now. That was the most consistent velocity of anything I've ever loaded. The total spread was a whopping 3f/s. That looks like a keeper to me.

I was shooting at a 100 yard rifle target at 25 yards, and managed to keep about all the holes in the black with the Kimber and HiPower. Next time I'll be shooting some groups off a rest.

That'll be a few weeks though, because Wednesday morning, the Boss and I are leaving for a vacation trip. We're doing a combined land and sea tour in Alaska.

No comments: