E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Not Cool

I guess I haven't been paying attention lately. Engineers are supposed to be logical thinkers, problem solvers, and trained observers. Well I guess I've failed the observation test. I didn't notice the total lack of revolvers available in the local stores until I went looking the other day. With some exceptions, the only revolvers are the tiny 38 and 357 variety that might be used for concealed carry. I remember when 4" & 6" barreled magnums ruled the handgun world, but no more.

The newest local gun shop also has an indoor range and class room. Every CCW class has been filled to the gills for as long as the place has been open. Looks to me like the locals are into the 'legal' carry of guns. Having all that traffic certainly helps their sales, of small revolvers and semi-autos. I'd bet the other 2 shops are also benefiting from the carry epidemic. In this case, the epidemic is a good thing. The semi-auto is the weapon of choice for most that carry because of the slimmer profile and they hold more cartridges.

Then again revolvers are simply old fashioned. I've recommended a revolver to more people than I can remember. That's been based on the much simpler manual of arms that's better for those that won't shoot on a regular basis. And just about every time, the new buyer ignores what I say. They're just not cool, even when for a lot of people a revolver is the best choice.

PS:
The fourth quarter has generally been a good quarter for licenses issued, but demand in the waning months of 2008 was stronger than anyone expected.

Looks like the Obama was good for more than gun & ammo sales.

The 10,668 regular licenses issued was an unprecedented 111% increase over the same period a year earlier. There were more licenses issued in the last three months of 2008 than the last quarter of 2006 and 2007 combined.

That's almost 11,000 new Ohio gun toters in 3 months. Hurrah!!

As a record number of Ohioans started carrying guns last year, Ohio's crime rates dropped.

Less than one half of one percent have ever been revoked, and among that small number are many CHLs revoked because a license-holder died or moved out of state.

More people carry and the crime rate drops. And those carrying are significantly more lawful that the general population. It's not about crime, it's about control of the citizen.

I will not register my guns. I will not register myself as a gun owner. I will not surrender any of my guns, not even a worn out 22. I will not be controlled like a lowly animal.

1 comment:

Haji said...

Revolvers have a place, but its a very narrow niche that they fill for me. The easily carried versions are the smallest revolvers, which means the smallest cylinders, which means the most limited capacity. The revolver just has a hard time competing against something like a Glock 19 with a 15 round magazine and easy-to-carry compact size. Its just not a trade off I'm willing to accept most of the time. They do have a place, though.