E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Window Shopping

I took the truck out today to one of those self-wash car wash places and hosed off the worst of the road salt residue. At least it's warm enough that the water didn't freeze on the truck before it dried.

While out I stopped at 2 local gun shops to browse a little. To my surprise their inventory is back up to normal levels, despite both places being crowded. I looked at a Kahr CW9 and a Keltec P-3AT.

I've been looking at the CW9 for a few months now, but so far I've resisted buying one. The Kahr products are the only striker fired pistols produced today that actually fit my small hands, but that's not the only reason to consider the CW9. The biggest reasons are the very slim profile, light weight and polymer frame. As much as I like my Kimber UltraCarry there are times when a slimmer and lighter carry gun would be ideal, especially in the summer. If I ever decide to get one it won't be from a retail store. I know a guy who'll get me one at dealer cost.

Then of late I've been considering a tiny little pocket gun for backup or to just drop in the pocket. That's why the Keltec is under consideration. They're relatively inexpensive at $270 retail, but have a reputation for working. One salesman said they sell a bunch of those little 380acp pistols and hasn't had complaints. Apparently the new and tiny Ruger is more refined looking but they run $40 more.

My Walther PPK (32acp) and Llama MicroMax (380acp) are both rather small guns, and I like them. But they're both a little too large and heavy to be true pocket guns.

I'm also keeping my eyes open for a used and beat up 30-06 or 308. If I find one at the right price it will become a project rifle. I'll get it re-barreled for either the 35 Whalen or 358 Winchester.

Another possibility is something chambered in a small caliber speed burner like the 22-250 or 264 Mag. That would have to be in better shape, not a project.

I've had my fill of 30 caliber class rifles.

No comments: