E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Shipping a Weapon

I think I mentioned before that a friend gave me a Ruger SuperBlackhawk 44 mag, because the barrel split from stem to stern on him. Though he's convinced otherwise, looks to me like a squib followed by a full charged load. Anyway he quit shooting when that happened and gave the revolver to me.

So a couple of weeks ago I boxed it up ready to be shipped back to Ruger. Ever tried to ship a firearm? Hassel, nothing but hassel. It can only be shipped by UPS and from a main terminal. Around here that means I can't ship it myself because of my work schedule, so this morning I took it to a local gun shop. Thankfully they'll ship it for me, at a small fee.

----------------

While there I also talked to a guy about a little project that some co-workers have been bugging me about. I'm now working at a small company where most know I'm a real gun nut. A few that have actually shot firearms before have asked me to set up an employee outing to a shooting range. The HR guy said that the company won't pay for any of this, but if arranged he'd sign up for it. The indoor range guy said they'd make sure we have an extra range officer and basic safe gun handling instruction before the shooting starts. That was my request. I have no problem taking a single new shooter when I can concentrate on what that person is doing, but never more than one at a time. Maybe this week I'll put up an announcement at work to see how many are interested.

The company has a no guns policy and the no guns sign on the door, but most employees, including the top company officer are quite conservative. In the managers meeting last week there was talk about changing the company policy to include other possible weapons like the new taser now being marketed for citizen carry. So far I've kept my mouth shut about that, but if asked directly, they'll certainly get my opinion.

The more shooters we have in this country the better.

3 comments:

Haji said...

It's even more hassle than that. Handguns have to be shipped overnight via commercial carrier, which means UPS or Fedex. Yeah, FedUp. Why is that, I hear you ask? You'll love this: UPS drivers were stealing handguns, so the shipping method had to be shortened so they had as little access to 'em as possible. Nice, huh?

Unknown said...

A friend of mine had a Superblackhawk that had 4 bullets from poor reloads jammed in the barrel (don't ask, I didn't do it). After about seven years of him doing nothing with the gun, I took it to a local gun dealer who sent it to Ruger. I got it back about two months later and it looked and shot like brand new.

The gun had taken a severe beating, drilling, and broken screws when said friend tried to fix it himself. All of the dings, screws, barrel, hammer, and internals were all replaced, and the gun had been reblued after all of the pits in the steel had been removed. The original parts were in a baggie. I couldn't have been more pleased with Ruger after that.

Big Gay Al said...

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but there was a cop, who in a test, was tasered, managed to maintain self control long enough to remove the barbs, and could still stand up. Tasers are nice, but they're just one more tool. And they can be defeated.