E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Your First 1911

Xavier has a post up discussing the choice of your first 1911. He covers things rather well, I think.

My first was a used Llama Max I for about $225. I've probably shot 3,000 through it without an issue.

Number 2 is another Llama, only this time the MiniMax for $240 new. Being a mechanical engineer, and somewhat mechanically inclined, I created a feed ramp for hollow point ammo. I've run aboput 3,000 through that one too, without a problem.

Both of the above were manufactured by a company that is no longer in business. I assume that's because of reliability issues, or a lack of market for bottom line 1911s. Neither one has seen a great amount of use, but to date they've worked for me.

I also have 2 stainless steel Kimbers, Custom IIs both. Mine have the firing pin safety that Xavier doesn't like, but other than disassembly, you'd never know it's there. Mine also have internal extractors. One is a 5" barrel and the other is a 3" UltraCarry.

While I've heard of people having issues with a barrel shorter than 4", I'd bet that's an issue of the past. Neither the 3" Kimber, nor the 3-1/2" Llama have showed any signs of reliability issues.

I like 1911s because of their looks, their ease of personal modifications, and how they fit my hands. Having said that, they're not for the new shooter.

No comments: