E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Very First

I have pictures of a few of my guns but not even half have been recorded this way. It seems to be a good idea to record not only the make, model & serial number, but also the condition just in case the unthinkable happens. Just thought I'd occasionally share with you.

My very first gun was a gift from my grandfather. At about the age of 13ish, he visited the house, which in itself was an unusual occasion. I can only recall him visiting us maybe 3 times. The rest of the time we went to the grandparents place. He and my father never got along very well. He came visiting with a .410 bore shotgun. He gave it to my father with the understanding that when he thought appropriate, the little shotgun was to be mine. I started hunting with it the very next season. It fit me a whole lot better than Dads double barreled Fox 12 gage.






Notice how low the hammer spur is? When cocked it's even closer. That was a contributing factor to my first and only ND (negligent discharge). After loosing sight of a squirrel I attempted to un-cock the hammer. Thankfully I was aware of the rules of safe gun handling and had it pointed in a safe direction, because the hammer slipped discharging the shotgun. The only damage was a hole in the ground and hurt pride.

Yep, it's a red letter Winchester Model 36. You don't see many of them around anymore.

With the death of my grandfather came the anger from my uncle. He wanted that gun, but I wouldn't give it to him. It is the only thing I remember my grandfather giving me, I just wouldn't let it go. I only own 2 objects that mean very much to me, and you're looking at one of them. I'd have to be very, very hungry to sell it, and taking it would require my demise first.

I've told the eldest son that eventually it will belong to his son, my grandson. From grandfather to grandson. That's a tradition I can live with. Hope grandson becomes a gunnie like the rest of us.

No comments: