E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Possible New Shooter

Got a call last night from the pastor where the Boss goes to church about handguns. Surprised? I was certainly surprised at his attitude shown me in the past. He’s not one of those completely passive types. He’s a firm believer in self-defense, even if it means taking a life. After 9/11 while sitting with me in a hospital waiting room he said something like “I won’t judge him (Bin Laden), but I’d gladly sent him to He who will”.

I took him to the range one time for a little target shooting. He had a brand new Baby Eagle 9mm he wanted to try. To be honest, he’s one of the worse shots with a handgun I ever saw, but he sure did have fun.

Anyway he wanted some advice about a handgun he bought for his wife. It seems that she doesn’t have the hand strength to work the slide on the Walther PPK he bought for her. He made the typical male mistake of buying a gun for his wife without her being there. Guns are like shoes, you just have to try them on for size before you buy them.

My advice to him was to take the wife along when returning the Walther. The first thing is to make sure she really wants a gun, and then handle many to find the make and model that fits her hand. If she has trouble working the slide then switch to a revolver. After that see if there is a rental available to try, at the range, before buying one.

I was a bit preoccupied so I didn’t volunteer to go with them. I’ll correct that in a couple of days. I’ll offer to go along because to help I need to ask her the intended purpose of the weapon and if she wants one or if it was his idea. Whether for target shooting, house or concealed carry makes a huge difference. Besides I doubt he actually knows how a handgun is supposed to fit the hand.

It’s a pleasure to help a new shooter.

No comments: