E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Parking Lots & Guns

My last employer had a no guns policy, but failed to post the no guns sign on the doors when concealed carry became legal in the state. I suppose that was because of their blatant inconsistancy. Many of the company elite and ownership simply ignored company policy that could've gotten anybody else fired. As an example I once knocked then entered the COO's office and found 3 rifles on his conference table. I heard rumors of other executives keeping handguns in their desks. As a result it was difficult to maintain any respect for the company leadership.

That was a privately owned company and has the right to do as they want, and set any rules they want. I didn't always follow their rules simply because their own actions violated their own rules, so I lost respect for them and their rules.

I've always been a believer in the owner setting the rules of conduct on their property. No smoking you say? OK, I won't smoke. No guns you say? OK I'll leave it outside. My present employer has a no guns policy, and the appropriate sign on the door. It's not a privately owned company, but I still respect the decision, as rediculous as it may be. In this case the property is leased, so the company elite has no say in the parking lot. Yes I keep a gun in the car in the parking lot.

If there was a no guns sign at the lot entrance I'm not sure what I would do. Which has the most influence, property owner rights, or my individual rights? I ten to lean toward property owner rights because I'm not forced to be there.

But I never thought of it this way.

Clearly, the state can - and did - act to protect the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves when traveling and in publicly accessible parking lots. It is definitely a safety issue, as a living person is clearly more important than an asphalt parking lot.

NRA believes in private property rights, but unlike citizens, corporations are discretionary creations of government. They come into existence through charters created by legislatures. Corporate interests don't override the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

No comments: