E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Horse Training

Went to the barn today to clean stalls, like typical every couple of days.  Decided to do some horse training while there.

When we ride my horse stands still, nice and quiet, while I move the plastic mounting block next to her and climb on.  The trails we ride have rest stations with picnic tables, hitching rails and heavy wooden mounting blocks.  When I lead her next to one of those mounting blocks she'll swing her butt away from it, so that getting back on is difficult.

So today I took our mounting block into the field and lead her next to it repeatedly.  And just like the rest areas she swung her butt away from it.  Other than that she stood there quietly.  I discovered that I could walk in front of her, around to the other side, and with a gentle push she moved next to the block, and stood quietly.  I did this several times, and then about half the time I didn't need to move her over. 

With a few more lessons I think she'll get the idea.

No comments: