E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lint & Crust

The Shiba was at the door barking a little while ago.  That's nothing new, since she's our early warning device.  She whoofs at just about any sound that's unusual.  What was different was that this time she growled.  I grabbed my Ultra Carry and investigated.  The nearest driveway had an idling Harley there.  That was the unusual sound she didn't like.

When replacing the little 45 I noticed the hammer area had collected some lint.  I hadn't fired it in several months, but it was dirty from just carrying it occasionally.  I don't carry it much in hot weather because of my extremely corrosive sweat.  So I gave it a quick cleaning.

Out of curiosity I checked the Kahr PM9 and found it to be worse than the Kimber.  It didn't look too bad externally, but the internals were actually crusty.  I haven't fired this one in a while either, but it gets carried more in this weather.  I prefer the 1911, but my sweat will corrode some stainless steels in short order, and I don't know how it will effect the anodized aluminum frame..  As I type this, some of the PM9 parts are soaking in oil.

I then checked the Llama 45 I keep in a soft case under the seat of the truck.  My place of employment has a no-guns policy.  It's probably been there for a year without cleaning.  It looked excellent, but I gave it a wipe down and a couple drops of oil anyway.

It appears that carry guns, that are fired little, require cleaning just as often as the weapons that are used more often.

No comments: