E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, May 30, 2013

CHL Renewal

My Ohio CHL is due to expire the first of July.  For various poor reasons I've procrastinated reapplying until this last Tuesday.  Here in Ohio, applications and issues are handles by the county Sheriff.  The licensee must go through the county sheriff where he/she resides, or an adjacent county sheriff.

Since I work in a small town that happens to be the adjacent county seat, I decided to apply there for convenience.  They only take applications Tuesday through Thursday by appointment.  I called for an appointment and was told I couldn't get in there until some time in August.  Bummer.  So I took some time off from work and drove into the much larger city to apply for renewal.  In 45 days I will be going back to pick up my new license.

Other than the hassle of driving into the city, all was rather easy. 

I have a very real problem with calling a concealed carry license a permit.  Permit implies that I need permission to exercise a natural right protected by the Constitution.  I..DO..NOT.  I have a license, well actually 2 licenses, which I have only to avoid legal hassle. . . . The deputy that took my paperwork called it an application to renew my permit.  Ughhh.  I managed to keep my mouth shut.

I was informed that since I have applied for renewal, and my license will expire before the renewal is processed, I have a 30 day grace period.  Nice to know, but not needed for me.  My non-resident Florida license is recognized here in Ohio, and it's good for another year.

No comments: