E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Shotgun Fun

Met the eldest at the range today to mutually check out shotgun patterns and slug impacts.  His patterns about 12 inches high at 75 feet and throws slugs about a 2 feet high at 50 yards.  Mine patterns about at the bead at 75 feet and throws slugs 3 inches low and 6 inches left at 50 yards.  At about 35 feet, we both blew out the center of the target with buckshot.  He was using a modified choke tube, and I had improved cylinder installed.

Neither of us care about the slugs, except that a "tactical shotgun" course this summer requires some slug shooting.  We both prefer #4 (about 0.24") buckshot to 00 buckshot (0.33") because of the increased number of hits and a more consistent pattern in both our guns.  #4 has 27 pellets and 00 has 9 or 12 depending.  Unfortunately #4 buck is harder to find in this neck of the woods.

I'm thinking about attaching a rear site the the barrel rib of my CZ.  I'm concerned that if I do, I'll tend to use it even when not shooting slugs.

No comments: