E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, June 4, 2012

Magnum or Not

When I purchased my first 357, Ruger Security Six, It felt like a magnum when shooting it.  At one time I hand some hand loads that launched a 110Gr bullet at about 1600 F/S.  The huge fire ball coming from the end of the barrel was really cool in low light, though I couldn't hit a barn, from the inside, with that load.  I now load 158Gr hollow points at about 1300 F/S, and use the revolver for hunting deer.

These days it no longer feels like a magnum to me.  The 41, 44 and 454 guns feel like magnums, though the 41 not so much.

How a handgun feels can be a bit deceiving.  Size, weight and how it fits the hand have a huge effect on felt recoil.  For instance I own a Charter Arms 44 Special that physically hurts with any ammunition with more recoil that a 240Gr bullet launched at 700 F/S.  That is certainly not a 'magnum' load, but in that light weight 5 shot revolver it's worse than the 454 Casull in the Ruger Super Redhawk.

James makes a good point in claiming that the 40 Cal could be considered a magnum based on muzzle energy.  I've shot a few pistols chambered for that cartridge.  Never has it felt like a magnum, even when from a subcompact.   But like I said, the feel can be deceiving.

No comments: