E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Negligent Discharge #2

Other than the one mentioned below I've had 2 negligent discharges.


The second happened at a shooting range and involved my 50 caliber cap and ball rifle. When shooting a muzzle loader it's necessary to clean out the bore after a few shots, especially when using actual black powder. There is enough residue build up in the barrel to make seating the bullet difficult. The cleaning involves swabbing the bore from the muzzle, which tends to push residue into and over the hole between the chamber and the cap. So after cleaning the bore it is a good idea to fire a cap, without powder or bullet in place, to clear the passage.


One day I was shooting this rifle, and had cleaned it and then reloaded it when a neighbor asked me a question. The question became a conversation. When it was time to resume shooting I placed a cap on the nipple, pointed the muzzle toward the ground in front of the firing line and squeezed the trigger. Instead of the escaping gasses moving some blades of grass indicating that the passage was not obstructed, I launched a projectile into the ground. I forgot that I had actually loaded the rifle.


Once again muzzle direction kept anyone from getting hurt.

No comments: