E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Checkering or Not

Last Saturday I managed to get a little trigger time plinking with my Buckmark. 22lr target pistol. It was miserably hot out there, in the shade, with sweat running down my legs, and everywhere else.

There are a lot of folks who really think that checkering everywhere the hand touches on a pistol is almost a necessity. The above mentioned Buckmark has no checkering at all, and I had absolutely no problem with my sweaty hands.

And my 1911 45 carry gun has smooth grips and no strap checkering. I've also shot it with hands sweat soggy.

I find sharp checkering to be a negative, not a positive on a carry gun. Knit shirts tend to catch on the checkering, spoiling concealability. And if the gun actually fits your hand, there's no need for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like some 30 lpi on the front strap. If it's done right, it provides lots of grip and won't tear up your hands.

I agree though that checkering grabs at shirts and flesh. I could go either way with it.