E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, March 21, 2011

Historically Not So Much

Yesterday the Boss mentioned that the world is in such terrible shape. Fighting in North Africa and nearby combined with earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, nuclear reactor failures, oil platform explosions and global economics has her in a funk. Fighting among the Arab states and their neighbors has been going on for centuries, so as far as I'm concerned, that one can be marked from the list.

The others are certainly things to consider, but things aren't so much worse than the history of my life. I remember, as a child, doing school drills in case of a nuclear attack. People were building fallout shelters and personal compounds in the boonies for survival. There were intercontinental missiles with nuclear warheads pointed our way just waiting for the push of a button. And then I'm not sure there's been a decade in my life when our military hasn't been fighting somebody somewhere.

The difference today is that we know so much more, so much quicker than in anytime of history. I'm not so sure the world is in worse shape now than in the past.

No comments: