E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, January 9, 2011

At The Range . . . . Finally

Today I managed to get to a local indoor range for some recently rare trigger time. Other than a few rounds of demonstration, I hadn't thrown lead since sometime in September, before surgery. It sure felt good to erase the withdrawal symptoms, even if only to prove that handgun skills erode. I also once again proved to myself that double action revolvers, in double action, are significantly more difficult to shoot with accuracy than a single action semi-auto.

Most of my trigger time was with the 22 long rifle through a Browning Buckmark and an old Charter double action revolver. At 50 feet everything through the Buckmark was within a 4 inch diameter circle, and 8 inches for the revolver. That was about 150 rounds split between them.

I also did some weak hand and strong hand only shooting at 50 feet with the Buckmark. The results are too embarrassing to report.

I then fired 50 rounds of 44 special, double action and two handed, through my Bulldog. I was able to keep all within the torso of a half sized silhouette target, also at 50 feet. By the time I got to the Bulldog I was shooting a little better, despite the weird trigger pull. That gun is nice and crisp, single action, but inconsistent double action. When shooting double action it will sometimes feel like it is binding. A little gunsmithing may be in order.

No comments: