E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Getting Stronger

Getting into the car, as a passenger, after surgery required a special technique. I had to move the seat back to get extra space then sit my butt on the seat with both feet still outside the car. I'd then pull myself in as far as I could, and rotate my legs inside. My initial efforts getting behind the wheel were similar.

Yesterday the boss and I were running some errands. I walked up to the car, put my weak leg behind the wheel and sat down, just like I've always done, before the surgery. I didn't think about it. I just did it.

Friday night I walked down the stairs into the basement and back up without using my cane for support for the first time. I didn't think about that either. I just did it.

Today I walked the dog for a distance of about half a mile, on relatively flat ground. I didn't start limping until about 3/4 the way back.

Obviously the damaged muscles are getting stronger.

Three cheers for physical therapy, though I still can't put a sock on my foot without a mechanical aid. We're working on that.

No comments: