E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Alternate Carry

I, like many others, prefer the strong side carry position. The only exception is when hunting with one of my revolvers, then I use a bandoleer style holster. Being built like a tree stump, and with short arms, I find shoulder holsters and typical cross draw carry positions difficult. I have trouble reaching the gun if carried that way.

The problem is that I'm recovered enough to get out and about on occasion with the Boss and I hate going unarmed, especially in my gimpy condition. For now I'm limited to sweat pants with elastic, no belt or cords. I'm not healed enough for typical clothing. Because of this I've started carrying my Kahr PM9 in a small "fanny pack" worn on my weak side away from my surgically repaired hip. I don't really prefer this method of carry because of the very slow presentation, especially walking with a cane, but that's my present best option.

When I get back to wearing something other than sweat pants, I'll still have an issue carrying strong side for a while. The soft tissue won't be tolerant to the weight and pressure of a gun. So yesterday I started an Internet search for cross draw holsters, then gave up. Lo and behold I happen to have 2 holsters that are adjustable enough to convert to cross draw if mounted at or slightly in front of the weak side hip bone. One is a paddle style and the other is an IWB. No sense buying another holster for what I hope is a short term problem.

No comments: