E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Useful Dimension

Using a revolver for hunting is an entirely different shooting methodology that for self defense. In the hunting world it doesn't really matter if the gun actually fits the hand because one handed shooting is not required. As long as I can hold it with both hands and reach the trigger, a little practice will be sufficient for deer sized killing hits out to about 100 yards or beyond.

In the concealed carry, self defense world, gun to hand fit is very important for multiple reasons. 100 yard hunting precision is not necessary, but fast shooting and maybe one handed is. So if you have small hands like I do, most hand guns are just way too big.

Most manufacturers publish dimensional data for their products, but few if any publish anything about trigger reach. The few that do appear to measure trigger reach in a straight line, which is actually a useless dimension. To be of any use to the consumer it should be defined as the surface distance from the center of the weapon where the web of the hand is positioned, around the grip and frame to the center of the trigger. I use a string to measure it. That's the distance that the trigger finger must transverse.

My 1911's are slightly modified with thin grips and a short trigger. The trigger reach as I define is 3-1/8 inches. I bought a Kahr PM9 because it is slightly smaller than a 1911 and lighter, though I prefer the 1911. The trigger reach on the little 9mm is 2-7/8 inches. Both of those gun types have the longest reach that I can shoot using one hand.

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers actually published useful dimensions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The PM9 is good stuff. How Kahr made such a tiny blaster so accurate is beyond me.