E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Consumer Separation

When we buy most anything in the way of goods, we know the price up front. We then decide what that particular good is worth to us, and decide whether to buy it. When we require services like auto repair or furnace repair we know (if asked) what the hourly rate is and can make an estimate as to the cost before the service is performed. But why not with medical services?

Most people have no idea what a doctor visit or prescription drugs actually cost. They pay their deductible and go on about their business. When the consumer is separated from the cost of good or services, the idea of value and competition dies, and actual costs increase.

Yesterday I called the surgeons office and asked for a cost estimate. After a short time of surprised silence I was asked to hold. Apparently very few people ask what it costs. I was eventually told they will bill my insurance $4,000.

I told the lady that I was going to call the hospital and ask the same question, and she chuckled, "good luck with that". I probably won't get an answer because of variables, I'm told. All I want is an estimate for planning purposes from a place where hip replacement surgery is a routine activity. Will I get an answer? I doubt it. I can smell a song and dance routine coming.

No comments: