E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, April 9, 2010

Rifle Distance ?

A co-worker once stated that he knew someone that regularly carries a Bersa 380. As it turns out it is his sister. Since the Boss's Firestorm (Bersa) shot about 7" low for me at 25 yards I asked him about that. His first comment was that is rifle distance. I'll get to that in a moment.

He confirmed that his sister's gun shot a little low for him at his normal handgun range. I wondered if that is typical. I don't like to generalize using a sample of 2, but so far it appears to be normal. Looks like I'll learn a bit more this Sunday if we make it to the range for the Boss to sling some lead. It might hit closer to the sights in her weaker grip.

There seems to be a whole lot of handgun owners who can't hit a full sized silhouette target at anything beyond 20 feet, even slow fire. I understand training for personal defense at close range, but that's no excuse to not practice shooting at small and/or more distant targets.

For instance I practice shooting at 4" clay pigeons targets out to 100 yards with my revolvers, 12" targets out there at 200 yards and up to 50 yards (clay pigeons) with my autoloaders. This is pure marksmanship skills that I continually try to improve.

I seldom shoot any of my carry guns (45acp, 9mm, 380) at closer than 25 yards, and usually half sized silhouette targets are considered large. Improving any skill requires pushing your personal limits.

As was said in a movie "aim small, miss small".

No comments: