E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Toy For The Boss

The Boss and I spent most of the day running errands. The most enjoyable, at least for me, was shopping for a concealed carry weapon for the Boss. Our last stop was a gun store with an indoor range and pistols for rent. We enlisted the aid of a salesman that I've dealt with in the past.

If you've visited here much you probably know that the Boss has had surgery on both hands. Due to arthritis the base of both thumbs are no longer connected by bone to the wrist. This meant we were looking for a defensive weapon with relatively low felt recoil, and I perceived it would be a revolver in 32 Mag. Why a revolver you ask? I don't own a semi-auto that she can pull back the slide with her very weak grip, so I anticipated the need for a revolver.

The salesman immediately directed us us to a case containing Bersa/Firestorm pistols. In his mind the slides are easy to work, they have a little heft to help dampen recoil, and they're reliable. I was prepared to spend whatever it took to get something she could carry and still shoot (practice) without pain, so the price tag sure didn't bother me any. Surprise, surprise she could actually work the slide 3 times in short order before her hand started hurting.

We then rented a 380 and she ran 50 rounds through a gun that had thousands put through it before us. She worked the action and fired all 50 in 30 minutes without any pain at all. The only problem she had was loading the magazine. She just doesn't have the thumb strength to push the cartridges down into it. That was my job.

I don't remember her ever shooting a DA/SA pistol before, so I was pleasantly surprised that she kept all 50 in the silhouette at 27 feet, and the more she shot the more centered the holes became.

I never noticed before, but she's right handed and left eye dominant. I was standing near her right shoulder and I thought she was closing her eyes with each shot, but no, only her right eye. We'll need to work on that a little.

She liked the thing so we left with one of these. She's happy as a clam. Now she's searching the Internet for a good way to carry it. She tried a couple of my inside the waist band holsters, that almost fit the gun, and was satisfied, so we'll probably get her one of those. Now she wants to get a shoulder bag with a gun compartment. Then she asked if I can reload the 380 for her.

Makes a husband proud.

No comments: