E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, November 13, 2009

Weak Hand Only


A few weeks ago I took a gent from work with me to the range so he could fire his grandfather's 8mm Mauser for the first time, as well as a few of my guns. Since that time he's been wanting to spend lunch at a range close by. This last week we spent our lunch hour at a local indoor range shooting .22 handguns.


He's owned a couple guns for some time, all inherited, but wasn't much interested in shooting. With a little help from me I believe he's becoming a convert. Unfortunately our upcoming unemployment will slow this down for a while.


This particular indoor range is one a club has resurrected from the past and is only 50 feet, but it is sufficient. I spent the whole time practicing using a handgun with my weak (left) hand only.


As you can see, I'm still shooting a bit to the right with the left hand. This doesn't happen with a 2 handed grip.

One thing I noticed this time. I was shooting with the gun canted slightly to the right. Apparently I was doing that before. I find it difficult to hold the pistol vertical with just my left hand.


The gun shoots just above the sights at this range, so I automatically held the front site centered and just below the aiming point. But since it shoots just above the site when vertical, it shoots the same place relative to the site when canted. That throws the shots slightly right. I need to keep that in mind next time.


The target is again 1/2 sized, so in a defensive situation I'm doing good enough. But at a target with lots of time and no pressure, I'm not satisfied.

No comments: