E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, July 24, 2009

Plated Bullets Continued - Again, Again

I loaded about 20 rounds of 200 grain plated bullets after sizing the brass through the son's smaller sizing die. I didn't do any inside diameter sizing. I then measured the lengths, cycled them through my Kimber, and re-measured them. Lo-and-behold I couldn't measure any length difference with my calipers.



The next step is to check for length change of a few after they're recoil loaded by firing the one in front. I suspect I've found the answer, but I'll do this experiment before claiming victory.



BTW since they're obviously tighter, and my load was producing velocities higher than book value before, I lowered the powder charge by 0.4 grains. That puts the charge midway between starting and Max loads for lead in the Lyman book.

1 comment:

GuardDuck said...

I found that the Lee factory crimp die was the best thing to use when loading plated bullets.