E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, July 6, 2009

Kahr PM9 IWB Holsters

I posted yesterday about my impressions of the pocket holsters a generous reader sent to me. Now let's take a look at the IWB holsters in the same package.



This is the C-TAC by Comp-Tac. It's one of the strangest looking holsters I've ever seen. It's also one of the most comfortable to carry a gun all - day - long. Last Friday I had the combination in the picture on me for 18 hours strait. No discomfort what so ever. The kydex(?) body is adjustable for retention, and supported by 2 pieces of short leather on each side with belt clips. It's adjustable for depth and cant. As I received it, the belt clips were of the "C" type shown on the left side. The "C" clips didn't work for me, so I replaced them with a more traditional style. I like this holster a lot.


This is the De Santis Tuck-This. It's nylon with an spare Mag pouch, and an adjustable cant. I haven't tried it as yet but it has promising versatility. It appears to be acceptable for strong side or cross draw. I envision this being used in the cross draw position when sitting while driving a car for instance. It looks to me like the metal clip retains the holster while drawing, and pressure and friction combined with hooking over the top of the pants keeps it from sliding down. I perceive that as a negative. The depth of the grip may also be a negative as I think grasping the pistol will be a challenge. But like I said, I haven't tried it as yet.

The last one is the High Noon Hidden Impact. It's another well made quality holster with adjustable retention and tuckable. For my tastes it has 2 negatives. It holds the pistol vertical, which I don't like, and it has the reinforced mouth. I have a similar constructed holster for my Walther PPK. I know that holding the mouth open is supposed to be a requirement according to the experts, but that extra layer of leather irritates my skin. The only way I will use this guy is if I can wear a shirt between me and the holster. I don't wear undershirts, even in winter.


As a reference here are the holsters I've been using. The IWB with my Kimber is by Tucker and the belt holster, top center, is a Don Hume also for the Kimber. I like and use them both depending on the situation. The IWB does a better job of concealment and makes the gun feel lighter because the load is spread farther apart. So there's no surprise that I like the C-TAC above.







No comments: