E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, July 12, 2009

IPSC

As it turns out, the shoot I attended today was an IPSC qualifying event. I told myself to ignore the timer and just shoot the targets, after all they are relatively close. I normally shoot my Kimber at 25-50 yards. The problem was, I kept hurrying my shots as I progressed through the targets.

Other then hurrying my shots, and a shaky hand, my only real problem was kneeling behind a barricade and leaning out. The damn arthritis complained a lot about that. Despite that, it was one of my better stations, that and shooting with my weak hand.

I was shooting my defense load and it showed at the chronograph, and muzzle blast. One shooter said I had the most impressive blast and the highest power factor (215). The guy that shot over the chronograph said it hurt his hand. I wanted to call him a wimp, but I don't know him well enough to tease that way.

I must have done OK because one experienced shooter came to me and asked if this actually was my very first time at one of those shoots. He was surprised when I told him yes it is. He told me I was doing pretty good at it.

And I did have fun.

- - - - - -

During a break, one shooter told a story about a young man in Michigan who was arrested for carrying concealed in a restricted area. He told the judge that he didn't need a lawyer because he had the 2A. The judge made no decision on bail or anything else, then went on vacation, leaving the guy in jail. Sometimes it's better to keep the mouth shut, and the shoe out.

1 comment:

tom said...

re:Chronograph wrists

IDPA match once, I was asked why I wasn't shooting .38Sp in my .357 (I mostly shoot 1911s but it's good to practice with everything you might be carrying) because I wouldn't be so loud.

I honestly didn't know what to say to that question. Kinda boggled my mind. Not much sense in practicing with a different load than you'd actually use in a defensive situation. Don't recall saying anything at all back to him but the guy who asked me continually referred to me whilst speaking to other people that day as "the loud guy".