E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Testing Fun

I finally got around to getting enough stuff to start reloading for the AR. Besides, I may actually have some time to do it now. I'll start the same way I did with my various bolt guns.

I've found by experimentation that any given bullet gets the best accuracy at a predetermined distance from the lands, regardless of the powder used and the velocity. Yeah, bench rest shooters sometimes seat the bullet such that it actually touches the lands. Well I'm not taking any chances of creating the extra high pressures that can be generated this way. And besides, I'm not a bench rest guy. So I'm going to load some 223, Sierra 55Gr HPBT at various bullet depths starting at .005 off the lands and work back to about .020. That's the only bullet I presently have to try. I'm assuming that I won't have a maximum overall length problem. Will they still fit in the magazine? I'll find out.

Later I'll try different powders once I have the best depth determined.

Oh, and I'll mount a scope on the flat top for the tests. Iron sights or the HoloSight just aren't good enough with these old eyes for load testing.

I haven't been in any hurry to start loading for the AR since The Boss insisted that I get more ammo. I'm down to about 900 rounds, so I guess it's time.

I'm an engineer by profession, but I AM an engineer. I even pull technical stuff into my hobbies.

No comments: