E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, February 20, 2009

New Toys Coming

For a while now I've been thinking about adding a smaller/lighter carry gun to the collection. My main carry pistol is a Kimber UltraCarry, and most of the time it's just fine since I have a couple of those leather-plastic-leather belts. But there are times when a smaller gun is more appropriate. I have a Walther PPK (32acp) and Llama MicroMax (380) for those occasions. They're both a little smaller, lesser caliber and of all steel construction. I like them both, but today there are better choices.

I've been considering the Kahr CW9 for a while as an alternative. It's significantly lighter than my Kimber, but dimensionally there isn't much difference. It's one of the very few striker fired pistols that fits my small hand well enough to shoot accurately one handed. Being a little lighter isn't enough to justify buying it. Why carry a 9mm when I can carry a 45?

In order to get smaller and lighter I settled on the Kahr PM9. Now that gun is smaller and also lighter, but unfortunately more expensive. It's actually about the size of my lesser caliber guns, and less weight to boot. Today I asked the FFL guy to get one for me.

Then I got to thinking about a backup or last ditch gun. One that could be tucked away in a pocket or ankle holster. There's some tiny little 380 pistols made for just that purpose. Ruger, Keltec, Kahr and even Magnum Research makes them, though the Ruger is extremely hard to get. I settled on the Keltec P-3AT 380. It's crude and the cheapest of the bunch, but has been around for a long time. There's something to be said for that. The FFL guy is going to get me one of those also.

1 comment:

Haji said...

I can't tell enough of a difference between the KelTec and the Ruger to spend the extra money on the Ruger. And, it's already had a recall. Guess they didn't copy the Kel Tec well enough.

Be sure to report how they're running down the line when you've got some rounds through 'em.